North to Alaska

Moderator: BKirkham

North to Alaska

Postby Dave Reed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm

My beautiful Northwest DC-7C headed from Seattle to Anchorage at 16,000'. Checklist done, max cruise power set, cowls set to position 1, where's my coffee??

I'm thinking of adding some more NWA DC-7 flights, and some DC-6 flights too, if I can get the proper data.
Dave Reed
Site Admin

Re: North to Alaska

Postby PAA0691 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:31 am

Time passes by, but FS still look gorgeous. Loved that sim.
Nice DC7, by the way :)
PAA0691

Postby Dave Reed » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:48 pm

Yes, the metal texture is great! I wish I could do metal like that.

I just finished my DC-6B texture and posted them to Flightsim.com. Search for David Reed.

In the 1950's Northwest had three blue stripe paint schemes. The earliest has the NWA logo on the rear fuselage. Later they moved the logo to just behind the cockpit. Still later they eliminated the logo altogether.

Here is the version I used, the early version. Note that it says on the tail Northwest Orient Airlines. This was done after the DC-6B began flying to Tokyo. While the name stuck for many years with the marketing department, the script writing on the tail did not. Also note the lack of prop spinners.

The next version moved the NWA logo up to a position just behind the cockpit. At this time they had added spinners too.

The final blue stripe layout on the Douglas's. Note the logo has been dropped, and the N-number has been moved from the vertical stabilizer to the fuselage. One other thing. The rear group of four windows seen here, was five windows in the earlier version. I don't know the details since I lost my DC-6 reference book. I'm guessing it was just an option that some planes had and others did not. Maybe in the five window version, the two rearmost windows were a lounge area. Airlines usually had flights that were all First Class or all Coach. The five window version may be a First Class type. I'll ask around.
Dave Reed
Site Admin

Postby Dave Reed » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:25 am

Answer: The early DC-6B's had five windows, with two being a lounge area. These were dropped early in production when airlines went to a mixed class or all coach arrangement. No DC-6A's ever had five windows, so the plane shwn above was probably a DC-6A that was turned into a DC-6B.
Spinners: They increased cooling around the cylinder heads, reducing temperatures. Cylinder head temps are a limiting factor of the radial engine, so anytime you can keep the temp down you can get better power. The maintenance savings probably paid for the spinners in a year!
Dave Reed
Site Admin

Postby PAA0691 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 am

Very cool data and pics! And what an era sadly lost... lounge area for a DC6!
PAA0691

Return to Screen Shots